The Family Advocate is a United Way of Central Jersey employee assigned to John F. Kennedy Elementary School (“JFK”) in Jamesburg. The Family Advocate, under the supervision of JFK’s early childhood coordinator, works primarily with kindergarten and pre-kindergarten students and their parents to promote child well-being and family stability. A key component of this position is building rapport with families and assisting them in a non-biased, non-judgmental manner. The Family Advocate must be fluent in Spanish.
1. Accept self-referrals and referrals from educational, social service, and faith-based organizations and health professionals regarding families in need in the Jamesburg area.
2. Identify and outreach to families who may be in need.
3. Assess family needs and prepare family service plans to help resolve identified problems while recognizing the need for crisis intervention in some cases.
4. Refer and connect families/individuals for services and programs, which may include determining eligibility for government subsidies, housing benefits, income and education supports and ESL, and food and health services.
5. Advocate for families who need help obtaining social services, education, and other benefits for which they may be eligible.
Job Competencies and Qualifications
1. Knowledge of early childhood development and services that help young children and families succeed, including knowledge of the social, educational, health and mental health services generally available in Middlesex County.
2. The ability to work cooperatively with school district personnel and community members.
3. The ability to develop service recommendations based on the family’s condition, history, preferences, strengths, motivations and needs.
4. The ability to advocate for, arrange, coordinate, monitor, and evaluate various services to meet the client’s complex needs.
5. Fluency in Spanish.
6. The ability to handle all family information in keeping with the highest standards of confidentiality.
7. An Associate’s or Bachelor’s degree in a human services-related field.
8. At least one year of experience in social services delivery and counseling, especially in case management.
9. A valid New Jersey Driver’s License, reliable transportation, and appropriate insurance coverage.
A Background Check is required.
Salary depends on experience.
Interested applicants should send a resume and brief cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org