When it helps to provide books for children who are learning to read!
Nothing is more frustrating than trying to learn to read and not being able to. Combine this with decades of research that many children experience the “summer slide”, up to two months of learning loss while they are out of school, and you have the potential for future academic disaster. That’s why United Way of Central Jersey partnered for a second year with JFK Elementary School in Jamesburg, NJ on a summer program for children struggling to learn to read called “Summer Sprouts”.
Children enrolled in Summer Sprouts participate in 6 weeks of summer learning focused on skill maintenance and enrichment through cross-curricular activities. Through the support we received from Johnson & Johnson’s Donate A Photo promotion we were able to add additional children to this year’s program and provide each participant with 8 books for the classroom as well as reading activities to do at home with their parents. Because we know that children who have books in their homes are more likely to read at or above grade level, participants were able take the books and activities home with them at the end of the program.
In year one over half of the Summer Sprouts students improved their reading ability over the end of the school year and over a quarter improved their reading skills above the normative level for their grade. Instead of summer loss, these students had summer gains and we expect similar results this year.
It’s a simple thing to upload a photo to a website, but by engaging people through Donate A Photo, Johnson & Johnson is helping to give this group of children a better opportunity for academic success.
To support United Way of Central Jersey:
- Go to your phone’s app store and search “Donate a Photo” to download for iPhone or Android and follow the easy in-app steps to set up an account and profile.
- Choose United Way’s cause: “One photo helps a student succeed in school!”
- Upload a photo (either from your camera or take a photo or selfie on the spot).
- Share your photo to the Donate a Photo gallery. You can also share to Facebook, Twitter and Instagram to inspire your family, friends to join you and donate a photo as well.
- Use #17UWCJ to support United Way of Central Jersey’s early literacy initiatives.